Maximize ROI with Advanced RFID Integration
In this webinar, Liberty Systems and Zebra teamed up to discuss the benefits of RFID technology, particularly when combined with Xemelgo software. This integration enhances inventory management and supply chain visibility, eliminating manual tracking, boosting ROI, and providing end-to-end visibility.
Coordinating the Flow of Material: Make Replenishment Fluid & Automatic
It’s important to ensure that the right materials are available at the right time in the manufacturing process. This process can be automated using RFID technology. Here are a few ways that this can be done:
- Finding Tools Quickly: In industries like manufacturing that involve heavy, expensive machinery, locating specific tools quickly is critical. Some of these tools are very expensive and are essential for fixing things or as part of the assembly process. Tools can now be embedded with RFID tags for easy location tracking. These RFID tags can also integrate with backend systems to track whether a tool has been calibrated within the required timeframe. This is particularly crucial because if a problem occurs, and the issue can be traced back to a tool that was out of calibration, fixing the problem can be very expensive.
- Keeping Assembly Lines Moving: To avoid disruptions due to part shortages, RFID technology can be used to track and ensure that the right materials are available at the right time and place. This proactive approach allows for better planning and reduces the risk of delays in the production process.
- Identifying Products: In highly competitive industries like automotive, RFID tags can help in differentiating between products that look very similar, such as different types of leather in cars. The RFID tags also assist in locating the products within the environment, reducing time wastage and keeping the flow of goods moving.
- Increasing Shipment Accuracy: RFID technology also helps in shipment verification at the dock, ensuring that the right product gets on the right truck. This is a proactive measure that helps to avoid the high costs associated with shipping errors.
Using Software to Enhance Efficiency and ROI on RFID Devices
As RFID continues to mature, software solutions like Xemelgo provide enhanced capabilities for existing RFID devices. Here are a few ways that Xemelgo can help manufacturers:
- Asset Management: This is akin to a 'find my iPhone' type of solution where the movement of assets throughout a facility can be tracked. This tool can be used for calibrations, servicing, end-of-life, etc., and the data can be visualized in an easy-to-understand format (red, yellow, green). Alerts can be automatically sent for calibration dates or if an asset leaves a particular zone (geofencing). The 'search and find' feature helps in locating assets quickly.
- Inventory Management: This feature helps understand what's on the floor in terms of raw materials and finished goods. It visualizes the items and gives alerts when the inventory is running low (min-max levels). It can also validate inventory and help with cycle counting.
- Work Order Management & Work in Process: This application provides visibility of how a product moves from raw material to a finished good. It allows to set thresholds for each work cell and sends alerts if a bottleneck occurs. This helps in timely reaction to the situation.
- Shipment Tracking: The application helps track the journey of the product from the manufacturing facility to the logistics environment. It ensures that the product has left the manufacturing facility and arrived at the logistics location.
The effectiveness of Xemelgo can be seen with Sakusui. Sakasui, a commercial aerospace components manufacturer, implemented Xemelgo's software over a period of three years. They started with three readers and have since expanded to over 150 in one location, with plans for more in another. They track product movement at every stage, from raw materials to finished goods, allowing them to quickly identify and address delays.
How to Get Started with Implementing RFID
RFID is a transformative technology, but without proper guidance, it can feel a bit overwhelming about where to start. Liberty Systems uses the following process to help guide our clients.
- Establish goals: We work with our clients to know what their aims are for the project and seek to address their pain points.
- Determination: Then determine if RFID is the right solution for the client.
- On-site analysis: Then, we conduct an on-site analysis, walking through the client's facility, understanding their needs, and devising a plan.
- Proof of Concept (POC): A proposal outlining the hardware and software needs for the project is presented to the client. Liberty sends demo equipment for the client to get a confirmed proof of concept.
- Deployment: Depending on the client's needs, Liberty either fully installs the RFID system or offers support to the client's team for deployment.
If you have any questions or would like to explore RFID for your manufacturing facility, please contact us to get started.